A great cookie recipe from Ken and Jen's friend Susan.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup quinoa flour
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
½ cup Earth Balance (1 stick)
¼ cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
¾ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use one bag)
½ cup shredded coconut, sweetened (optional)
½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C).
2. Sift together all-purpose and quinoa flours, baking soda, salt then set aside.
3. Melt one stick of Earth Balance for 30 seconds in the microwave and then add ½ cup non-hydrogenated vegetable oil and melt for another 30 seconds.
4. Grab a large bowl and beat together the melted Earth Balance, brown sugar and white sugars until well blended.
5. Add vanilla, egg and egg yolk and continue to beat until blended.
6. Slowly add the flour to the wet ingredients until a dough like consistency is formed.
7. Fold in chocolate chips, walnuts and coconut using a spatula.
8. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes to an hour. Roll dough into tablespoon balls and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake cookies [..] minutes, until edges are light brown. Bake a few minutes longer if cookies are larger or if you like them a bit more crispy.