3 cups (750 mL) unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
¾ cup (180 mL) milk
½ cup (125 mL) sour cream
1 ¼ cups (310 mL) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups (500 mL) sugar
1 Tbsp (15 mL) vanilla extract
3 Tbsp (45 mL) cocoa powder
2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
4 oz (115 g) semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
⅓ cup (75 mL) 35% cream
2 Tbsp (30 mL) corn syrup
1. With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Generously brush a 2.5-litre (10-cup) Bundt or tube cake pan with butter and dust with flour.
2. In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, combine milk and sour cream. Set aside.
4. In a third bowl, cream butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until smooth. At low speed, add dry ingredients alternately with the milk mixture.
5. In another bowl, combine cocoa powder and oil with a whisk. Add 500 ml (2 cups) of cake batter and combine.
6. Spread vanilla cake batter in the pan. Make a deep groove in the centre of the batter by spreading batter up the sides of the pan. Spoon chocolate batter in the groove. With a small spoon, gently swirl the two batters in small circular movements to create a marbled effect.
7. Bake for about 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes. Unmould cake, flipping on a wire rack. Let cool completely.
1. In a bowl, place chocolate. Set aside.
2. In a small saucepan or in the microwave oven, bring cream and corn syrup to a boil. Pour over chocolate. Let melt for 1 minute without stirring.
3. With a fork, stir until smooth. Let cool for about 5 minutes. Pour over cooled cake and let ganache fall over the sides.