"Forget classic cinnamon rolls—these Cardamom Pistachio Rolls are spiced with cardamom and studded with salty pistachios, making them a breakfast treat that’s well worth the effort."
¼ cup warm water (105°F to 110°F)
2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
⅓ cup plus ½ teaspoon granulated sugar, divided
1 cup whole milk, room temperature and divided
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
1 large egg, room temperature
1 large egg yolk, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
½ cup finely chopped roasted salted shelled pistachios
½ cup unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1 to 1½ teaspoons lemon zest
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, whisk together ¼ cup warm water, yeast, and ½ teaspoon granulated sugar by hand. Let stand until mixture is foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Add ¾ cup milk, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, egg, egg yolk, vanilla, and remaining ⅓ cup granulated sugar, whisking to combine.
- With mixer on medium speed, add flour and salt, beating just until dough comes together. Scrape sides of bowl. Increase mixer speed to medium-high, and beat for 4 minutes. Add softened butter, and beat until dough is smooth and pulls away from sides of bowl, about 6 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F) until doubled in size, 1½ to 2 hours.
- Butter a 9-inch round cake pan.
- On a lightly floured surface, stretch dough into a 16x12-inch rectangle using wet hands.
- In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar, pistachios, melted butter, cinnamon, cardamom, and zest. Spread filling onto dough, leaving a ½-inch border. Starting with one long side, roll dough into a log; pinch seam to seal. Place log, seam side down, on work surface. Trim ½ inch off each end. Cut into 8 rolls, and place in prepared pan. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F) until doubled in size, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake until light golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, remaining ¼ cup milk, and remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice until combined. Place in a resealable plastic bag. Cut corner from bag, and drizzle icing onto rolls.
Keep your hands wet when stretching dough. This keeps dough from sticking and also keeps you from adding additional flour. Brush any additional flour off dough with a dry pastry brush as you are rolling.